Inspired by the apple jack pancakes from Ethos Vegan Kitchen, I had to attempt making these pancakes on my own. Since I try my best to eliminate refined cane sugar from my diet, I thought I’d modify an existing version of my favorite pancake recipe into a healthier vegan version. The end result – breakfast perfection! These are very moist by the way! 😛
- Butter for pan (or a nonstick spray)
- 1 1/4 cups pastry flour (I use Arrowhead Mills Organic Pastry Flour)
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 1/4 cups flax milk (you can also use soy milk, almond milk, etc.)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (you can substitute with agave nectar or cane sugar if desired)
- 1 heaping tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp apple pie spice
- 1/2 apple peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- Pinch of salt
- Mix all ingredients, except the bite-size apple pieces, until smooth.
- Mix in the bite-size apple pieces and then let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Preheat skillet over medium heat. Use a pan with a nonstick surface and add a little bit of butter or nonstick spray.
- Pour batter by spoonfuls into the hot pan, forming 4-inch circles.
- When the edges appear to harden, flip the pancakes. They should be golden brown.
- Cook pancakes on the other side for same amount of time, until golden brown.
Makes about 15 pancakes.
Source: This recipe is a modified version from the following: http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/IHOP-Pancakes-Recipe.html