Well, vegan cheddar!
Okay, okay… say nutritional yeast!
Yes, I said nutritional yeast!
My kids are the inspiration for this soup, which we definitely enjoyed for dinner tonight!
They love broccoli and cheddar soup, so we decided to find a recipe online and give it a try.
We came across this easy Clean Program recipe.
You can never go wrong with a Clean Program recipe. Healthy and delicious ingredients with spices combined to make your favorite dishes all while doing your cleanse.
It can’t get any easier than that! 😉
And yes, this soup was definitely delicious which is why I’m sharing it with you! 😛
(Feel free to substitute the nutritional yeast with raw organic cheddar cheese although I believe you’d be extremely happy with the cheesy flavor of nutritional yeast!)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 leek, green top discarded, white section sliced in ½ inch rounds
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 head of broccoli, discard stem and cut into florets (should equal 4 cups)
- 3 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- sea salt, to taste
- optional fresh ground black pepper
- In a soup pot, melt the coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, saute the leeks until they begin to soften, roughly 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the broccoli and stir to mix everything together. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, add the vegetable stock, bay leaf and turmeric.
- Cover and let everything simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, uncover and stir in the additional nutritional yeast.
- Season additionally to your tastes with nutritional yeast, salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
This recipe is a slight modification of the following, http://blog.cleanprogram.com/broccoli-and-cheddar-soup/