This is one of my girls favorite recipes!
And since it’s made their list of favorite vegetarian dishes, it definitely needs to be shared.
It’s quick, easy to make and quite satisfying. 😛
To make this vegan, just substitute the cheese with vegan cheese.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (you’ll need about 1 cup of uncooked quinoa)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- 2 jalapenos, seeds and ribs removed, minced
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 bell peppers, chopped (red, yellow and/or orange)
- 1 cup Mexican cheese (or sharp cheddar or vegan cheese), shredded
- sliced green onions for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly grease an 8×8 baking dish.
- In a skillet over medium heat add the olive oil, garlic and onion. Saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, jalapenos, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Stir and let simmer on low heat for 7 minutes.
- In a dry nonstick skillet over medium high heat, toss and toast quinoa with cayenne pepper, chili powder and cumin for 2 minutes. Taste and season with salt. Set aside.
- In the same skillet over medium-high heat, place the bell peppers and DO NOT stir. This allows the peppers to get the brown roasted look on the outside. Wait for 2 to 3 minutes before stirring, then let them roast for another 2 minutes before removing from the heat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine tomato mixture, quinoa, ½ of the shredded cheese and ½ of the bell peppers.
- Transfer the quinoa mixture into the baking dish, top with remaining bell peppers and cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with green onions.
- Serve with tortilla chips, salad, sour cream or just eat it plain.
This recipe is a slight modification from http://www.theironyou.com/2013/05/spicy-mexican-quinoa-casserole.html